Property Taxes

When is the City’s taxation year?

The taxation year (City’s fiscal year) is the same as the calendar year, January 1-December 31, with the property taxes due June 30th of each year.

Is there any discount for paying early?

No, there is no discount on your property taxes for paying early.

When are tax notices mailed out?

Tax notices are mailed out by the end of May.

How are municipal property taxes calculated?

The property tax calculation is shown in the following formula:
 Your Tax Bill =  Base tax + (Taxable Assessment x Mill Rate x Mill Rate Factor)

Taxable Assessment - This is the assessment value used as the base to calculate your property tax.
Mill Rate - After the annual budget is approved by the City, a mill rate is calculated and applied to all properties. 
Mill Rate Factor - A mill rate factor is a tax policy tool used to redistribute the amount of total taxes paid by each property class. 
Base Tax - A base tax is a flat fee added to the municipal portion of each tax bill, regardless of the property’s assessment. The base tax fee relates to essential services that a property receives. 

 2022 Municipal Tax Rates

City Mill Rate
 Mill Rate FactorBase Tax 
.75 $740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land
Non-Arable Land10.69
.75 $740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land
$740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land
.95$740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land
Vertical Condominium10.69
.95$498 - Improved 
Multi-Family Residential 10.69
$740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land 
Multi-Family Residential High Rise10.69
.82$740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land
$740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land 
Commercial Auto Dealerships10.69
1.68$740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land
Railway/Pipelines 10.69
1.82 $740 - Improved
$600 - Vacant Land

What is the deadline to pay my property taxes?

June 30th is the property tax payment deadline.

How can I pay my taxes?

You can make a lump sum payment before June 30 or pay monthly throughout the year:
  • 1.) Lump Sum Payment:
    • At City Hall (202 Burrows Avenue W)
      • Pay in person weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Cash, cheque or debit card accepted. You cannot pay your taxes by credit card.
      • Pay by cheque using the 24-hour deposit box at the front entrance of City Hall in the southeast corner.
    • By mail:
      • Mail your cheque dated June 30, to Box 2230, Melfort, SK, S0E 1A0. The City must receive your cheque before June 30th to avoid penalties; therefore, the City suggests you mail your cheque by June 15th but postdate it June 30. Include your payment stub with the cheque.
  • 2.) Monthly Payments - make monthly payments through:
    • Your mortgage financial institution:
      • If you include tax payments with your mortgage payments, your financial institution will accumulate your payments and pay your tax bill in June. Contact your mortgage financial institution for more details.
    • The City's Tax Installment Payment Plan Service (TIPP's):
      • TIPP's allows you to pay your taxes in 12 monthly installments with no additional charges (no discounts, no penalties).
How can I enroll in the TIPPs Program?

To participate you must have a chequing account with a financial institution. You can enroll in the program any time during the year. However, a catch up payment may be required when signing up during the tax year that is owing. To enroll, print off the TIPPs application form in the brochure and send it with a void cheque attached to:
City of Melfort
Box 2230, Melfort, SK  S0E 1A0
If any payments are missed, the City may remove you from TIPPs and request payment of the total outstanding taxes, plus penalties.

How do I withdraw from the TIPPs program?

You can withdraw from TIPPs by giving the City written notice two weeks prior to the next scheduled payment (by the 15th) of the month.
What happens if I do not pay my tax bill?

If your current year’s taxes remain unpaid after June 30th, you will be charged a compounding monthly penalty of 1.5%. If your taxes are unpaid after December 31st, your property will be declared in arrears. Your property’s address and outstanding amount will be included in a newspaper advertisement of tax accounts in arrears in accordance with The Tax Enforcement Act.
If your account is still in arrears 60 days after the list of lands advertisement, the City of Melfort will register a tax lien on your property. This action gives the City the authority, under the Tax Enforcement Act, to pursue taking title of your property. The City also has the right to pursue collection options under The Cities Act, including any or all of the following:
  • Civil action
  • Seizures of rent
  • Seizures of goods and chattels
What are the additional charges that sometimes appear on my tax bill?

Under The Cities Act and other legislation, the City can add charges to your tax account, such as:
  • Local Improvements related to paving.
  • Miscellaneous - overdue water and sewer balances can be transferred to your tax account. As well, if the City must do work on your property due to bylaw violations (e.g. untidy/unsightly land, noxious weeds) the cost of this work can be added to your tax account.

Why are my taxes different from my neighbors?

Each property is assessed according to the guidelines established by The Cities Act and the Saskatchewan Assessment manual. Properties have different assessments based on these guidelines. Such things as the size, construction quality, style, condition or effective age of any buildings on your property can influence your property’s fair value assessment.

Why do I pay school taxes when I don’t have children or I am a senior?

All property owners, whether they have children attending school or not, are required by provincial law to pay school tax. Provincial legislation specifies that the funds for schools are to be collected by municipalities. While the City of Melfort bills and collects school taxes, the municipality has no jurisdiction or control over Ministry of Education mill rates.

My taxes are too high; and I want to appeal?

You cannot appeal your taxes or your tax rate. You can only appeal your assessment to the Board of Revision if there is an error. If you have a concern about your assessment, contact the Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency at 306-752-6142 or visit their office located at 107 Burrows Avenue West.